GRILLED CHICKEN SHAWARMA OVER CAULIFLOWER TABBOULEH
These Chicken Shawarma bowls are an easy, healthy meal that’s filled with SO MUCH FLAVOR! Served over heaps of veggies and herbs, this dish can’t be beat! Don’t forget the spicy Greek Yogurt sauce and hummus for an out-of-this-world combination!
There’s no need to go out to a fancy restaurant when you can make this spin on a seductive Middle Eastern masterpiece at home. In today’s recipe I’m serving the meat over a bowl of cauliflower tabbouleh, however you can also stuff them into wraps, served over nachos, or even sliced thinly on pizza (swooooon)! The possibilities are endless.
The original shawarma was actually crafted with lamb, but these days you can find it in forms of chicken, turkey, beef or veil. Shawarma is well-marinated meat that’s cut thin and layered on a vertical rotisserie (or spit). It’s then slow roasted over several hours and shaved off when it’s ready to serve. Per the usual, I’m jazzing things up with a fusion version of my own! I decided to go low-carb, high-protein and serve these juicy morsels over cauliflower tabbouleh. The trifecta of mint, cilantro and Italian parsley really kick things up a notch!
Prep Time 20 Min.
Cook Time: 15 min.
Total Time: 35 min.
- 1 package of Meat District’s Shawarma Chicken Thighs
- 12 oz. Frozen Cauliflower Rice, cooked & drained
- 1 English Cucumber, diced
- 1 small clamshell Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 Green Onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Italian Parsley
- ½ cup Mint Leaves
- ½ cup Cilantro
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt + Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and place them on a skewer for the grill. Grease the grates with vegetable oil or grill spray until glossy and coated. Grill kabobs, covered, for 10 – 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Ensure the internal temperature has reached 165F before removing from the grill. Set aside to rest while you whip together the remaining ingredients.
- Cook cauliflower rice according to packaged directions. Drain and set aside until you’re ready to assemble. Prep cucumber, cherry tomatoes and green onions.
- Place Italian parsley, mint and cilantro in the food processor. Pulse until minced. Pour cauliflower rice into a large bowl and mix together with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, minced herbs, juice of 1 lemon, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Mix all ingredients for the spicy Greek yogurt in a bowl and set aside for serving.
- To assemble the bowls: place tabbouleh on the bottom and evenly top with chickpeas, feta, lemon wedges and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. Add chicken skewers and serve with spicy Greek yogurt, hummus and pita chips.